Tuesday, November 20, 2007

We Are Rubik, Resistance Is Futile


I continue my brave journey to discover myself through Guitar Hero. I've learned that as long as I activate a music track by imitating guitar play, I'm quite happy that I don't actually know how to play a real guitar. This is truth in gaming. I also don't have time to become a Space Marine, Cowboy, Mob Boss, Fighter Pilot, Plumber, MIT Theoretical Physicists, or John Madden. A game should be considered successful if you feel you've become something your not without the difficulty of attainment. Guitar Hero has this in spades. I even love the simple message, "Press any key to Rock." If the was meant to teach you how to play guitar it would be a more of a simulator than a game, like the difference between Gran Tourismo and Burn Out. Rock Band looks like a cross between the two. The review is in from IGN and they love it.

A new actor has been chosen for Star Trek XI. Sarek, Spock's father, will be played by Ben Cross. Yes, that Ben Cross, the one form Chariots Of Fire. If memory serves this makes the third actor to play Sarek, and (if he is in a flashback) the second actor to play him in a flashback. JJ Abrams was able to keep "Cloverfield" under wraps so well I hope he doesn't do the same to Trek. If he keeps feeding us tidpits that will make the year go by quicker. Less than two months until Cloverfield at least. I didn't see Blair Witch but I'll bring dramamine just in case.

Earlier this year I decided to learn how to solve a Rubik's Cube. I had learned as a child but forgotten so I wanted to try again, as I had never solved a cube without a book. Now we have the internet so I found a useful site and set to work. About a week later I'd memorized four (4) different patterns of movement and solved it within a couple inutes no matter how scrambled it was. I looked for a greater challenge and bought a Rubik's Revenge (4x4x4) and The Professor's Cube (5x5x5). The Revenge exploded on me while fixing it and I never figured out how to put it back together. I completed all the Professor's Cube but for two pieces that were out of position. I thought that was pretty good so I gave up on the project.

A month later, while on drill, I found myself on a bus to a weapons range with time to kill. I had my cube on me so I decided to spend the three hour trip teaching another soldier, who will go by the name "Scully." I enjoyed the challenge of teaching a Padawan of the Cube and the weekend continued until I was sure she had all the knowledge she needed. I had no idea what seed I had planted. This past weekend, several months since, I discovered that she had, in turn, been teaching someone new. Knowledge is infectious. BTW read how to solve The Professor's Cube before actually scrambling it. Just an FYI. See you next broadcast.

No comments: