Thursday, November 15, 2007

Say Uncle


It took the grapevine some time but I finally got word that Gandy just celebrated another first Uncle Day with a new nephew. Uncle Day being the day one becomes an Uncle. it's even possible to become an Uncle more tha once. Congradulations, Gandy, on your repeat Uncle-ing. You have now become the "cool" adult relative that isn't your nephews parents. Good for you. It's been a long time in coming but you've earned it, again.

My race for the 15K Gamescore just came to a crashing halt. I own Guitar Hero III. The need for achievements has been replaced with a need to Rock Out (on Easy, anyway). Playing the game is like interacting with the music. You're not exactly playing each note but you're enabling the guitar to keep playing (on Easy, anyway). My brief foray on Hard with Foghat netted me 4% completed before I was booed and booted off stage (or 96% failed if your cup is half empty). I did manage to score one achievement, probably the easiest achievement in the game. After playing about 5 songs on Easy, I tried my luck on Normal (Foghat once again) and blew it after about 40%. I've got a lot of learning to do. Barracuda has become my favorite (on Easy). If anyone has no idea what I'm talking about watch the Guitar Hero episode of South Park. This segment from the beginning explains everything. I'm even writing this early in the evening so I can go back and play until I pass out. BTW a rum and coke goes well with the game (on Easy).

Growing up as a child I had two great loves (okay three if you count video games), Star Wars and LEGOs. Like the man who invented the peanut butter cup, these are two great tastes that taste great together. Thus LEGO Star Wars is born as a video game. I missed the first iteration (the prequel trilogy), and I own the Holy Trilogy version, I just haven't played it yet. Since I'll be putting all gaming aside indefinately save Guitar Hero III (and Rock Band) I'm going to holfd out for LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga and save myself the trouble of loading two discs. The producers/developers of the game have found an excellent balance of humor and respect for the source material. Of course Traveller's Tales, the makers of all the LEGO insert movie franchise, knows not insult the fans so there are lots of hidden extras to find in the game, not to mention 160 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS to acquire. I'll bet that's an Achievement.


As a child/teenager of the 80s all things from that decade attract me like a bug zapper. One of those things happens to be GhostBusters. Apparently the Atari 2600 game wasn't good enough, now we'll get a next gen console excursion. Gameinformer has the same idea I do, this will be awesome. And a trip down memory lane. Which reminds me of all the awesome 80s tracks from Guitar Hero III. Carry on "axe weilders" for tonight we dine on Rock. And for those about to Rock, We Salute You. See you next broadcast.

2 comments:

EmpTass said...

1) Your Welcome
2) GANDY is again an uncle? Number 3 ? DId i miss something?!?! Something tells me that someone was going to have a kid, but then I kinda mixed something up there... geez? Maybe that is why no communique for a while!
Tonight we definitely dine on ROCK!

For those who don't know, Ghostbusters is a true classic and even today (since you don't see any cell phones, references to the Internet or other blatant "WE ARE IN TODAYS WORLD PEOPLE" references, the movie rocks). I mean, you can totally feel like the movie is set in 2007, i mean it is getting stupid everytime the hero goes "let me check the internet on my new [insert product name here] phone that can also scower the web for obscene murder clues". Ghostbusters.

That's all for now.

"He got me Ray"

Fox4649 said...

That's what's great about GhostBusters, it seems timeless. It's set in a real city and you can visit any one of the locations. Every time I go to NYC I visit the library. The real world setting just makes the unbelievable that much more real. And this group of actors under the direction of Ivan Reitman is classic. I don't think I've enjoyed a Reitman movie more since, except Evolution. It always cracked me up that the PK meter in GB is an alien communicator in They Live. I love hand-me-down props. While I run this Blog I can't really complain about the internet, even in fictional media, but I feel you pain. and BTW, GUITAR HERO III rocks.